OKLAHOMA CITY, March 12, 2020 - Though the usual excitement has been dampened by COVID-19 concerns, travelers are already heading out for the 2020 Spring Break travel season. Here are some important travel tips for those who are making a spring getaway.
- HOT TIP! If you are feeling sick, do not fly. WRWA employees are working hard to keep the airport a safe and healthy place to travel. Do your part by staying home if you are feeling ill. For travelers who are feeling healthy, do your part by regularly washing your hands per CDC guidelines, cover your cough/sneeze and avoid touching your eyes/nose/mouth (more info available at CDC.gov/COVID19).
- Always arrive at the terminal at least one-and-a-half hours before departure. Running late is the number one reason why passengers miss flights at WRWA. The last thing you want to have happen is to run late and then get behind a large travel group at the checkpoint. Additionally, Terminal Drive construction could slow down your trip to the airport. A detour route is in place for those accessing the airport from SW 54th St. and Terminal Drive is restricted to a single lane. Arriving early is the best contingency plan and will give you time to navigate the construction.
- Check out the airport’s parking options before coming to the airport. It’s always best to have your two favorite options in mind, in case your first option is full when you arrive. Parking information, including the current rates and locations, can be found at flyokc.com/parking-rates.
- Make sure you have proper identification and that it is valid. Remember, your current OK driver’s license is still good for domestic travel until October 1, 2020.
- Don’t miss your airline’s check-in deadline. Most airlines close the check-in process 30 or 45 minutes before a scheduled departure. See your airline’s website for details.
- Before entering the checkpoint queue, familiarize yourself with screening procedures and ensure you have no prohibited items in your carry-ons. Helpful information can be found at tsa.gov. Remember, all electronics should be placed in a separate bin and should not be stacked. And, as always, firearms are not allowed through the checkpoint.
- Rainy days are in the forecast, starting this Friday and continuing into Spring Break week. Be sure to closely monitor your flights with your airline in case weather here in OKC, or weather nationally, affects your flight.
For more travel tips go to flyokc.com/travel-tips.
# # # #